We know that the next great Australian musical may be that idea you had at breakfast this morning.
It may be the show you’ve been working on for years but haven’t been able to finish.
It may be a song, a script or a fully written musical that’s had a production and just needs some help to cut through, break out or take off.
We hope that it’s something new, something innovative, imaginative and inspirational.
We hope that it displays the sort of creative vision that will help redefine what musical theatre can be.
That it showcases the incredible diversity we have to offer in Australia and has the potential to help us build new audiences for home-grown musicals.
Which is quite a lot to come up with over cornflakes.
Hayes Theatre Co’s OPEN SUBMISSIONS PROGRAM is an initiative of HAYES CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT.
Submissions are now open and will close on May 4. There will be two submission rounds each year.
What can I submit?
Any proposals that you’d like our assessment committee to consider. While early concept submissions are welcome,
we’d also like to see evidence of your commitment to the project and any work you’ve done to date.
Submissions could include:
– A draft of a script
– A collection of songs you’re hoping to develop into a musical or cabaret
– Details of a collaboration with other creatives
– A musical that’s already had a development showing or a full production
Does the proposal need to be a new work?
While Hayes Creative Development is primarily interested in supporting new musicals and cabarets, if you’d like to propose a co-production or collaboration with Hayes
on an existing show that you have the rights to, then we’d love to hear from you.
If you want to submit an independent (self-produced and funded) musical next year, please see our 2021 Independent Production Applications guidelines.
How to submit?
Simply email a short cover letter detailing your vision for the project and any accompanying materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
– Details of confirmed collaborators
– The history of the project (any developments, workshops or readings)
– The scope of the production (anticipated cast and band size, any particular staging requirements)
– Target audience
– Any requirement to obtain the rights to source material
– Any encumbrances (contractual obligations to commissioning partners or similar)
What happens next?
All submissions will be assessed following the closing date. We’ll respond to every submission and offer feedback, regardless of whether we’re able to help.
Our advisory committee will also select some projects for targeted assistance. This may include:
– Advice on potential creative pairings
– The offer of seed finance to pay for further development
– Inclusion in a biannual development week with a professional director, cast and musicians
– The offer of inclusion in a future Hayes Theatre Co season
Does my musical have to be developed for production at Hayes?
No, while we are looking for projects to develop for presentation at Hayes, we recognise that our 111-seat theatre may not be the right fit for your vision.
We’ll offer you what help we can and then suggest potential next steps.
In some instances, musicals might benefit from an initial season at Hayes followed by further development for presentation at other venues.
What sort of musicals are you looking for?
That’s up to you.
We encourage you to submit proposals that have the potential to develop the form of
musical theatre as well as creative approaches to more conventional storytelling.
We are interested in projects that celebrate the diversity of Australian cultural expression.
Round one submissions close May 4
Round two submissions open July 1
Round two submissions close September 4