2021 Artist Led Productions
Closing Date for Submissions: Friday, 10 July 2020
Hayes Theatre Co is an independent theatre producer and venue located in Potts Point. Since opening its doors in 2014, Hayes Theatre Co has burst on to the independent theatre scene presenting music theatre and cabaret in an intimate location.
Currently, programming is a mixture of productions presented by external hirers and in-house produced shows. In 2021, and with the support of Frederic Marguerre and Rodrigo Martino, Hayes Theatre Co is seeking to present two artist-led productions, which will be fully funded by the theatre.
All works presented at Hayes Theatre Co must fall into the category of music theatre. In this instance we are seeking proposals for full productions, not cabaret performances.
Productions produced by Hayes Theatre Co are fully waged in accordance with the LPA Award. Each of our productions brings together a professional team of creatives who have an opportunity to work in a unique environment to find creative means of presenting a full scale musical in an intimate venue.
All proposals will be considered based on the following guidelines:
- Creativity: Whether it be a reimagining of a classic musical or a more recent work, we are looking for a vision that demonstrates a creative approach to the production.
- Excellence: The creative team involved has a demonstrated track record of excellence in their chosen fields. Emerging artists are, however, also encouraged to apply.
- Diversity: An approach that reflects the diverse nature of the cultural identity of Australia.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
We are seeking to collaborate with creative artists who are emerging or established within their chosen field of creativity. This opportunity is not limited to directors; we are hoping to hear from performers, choreographers, musical directors or designers who have a clear and exciting vision for a musical theatre production. Creative partnerships are also encouraged to apply. You will be employed on the production in your professional capacity – and help shape the development and delivery of the show.
This process is not open to independent producers seeking a co-production with Hayes Theatre Co.
What You Provide
The Artist provides the vision for the project including a breakdown of cast and/or orchestral reduction, any proposed cast or creative team members.
What We Provide
- Full funding of the production including payment of Award wages for performing artists and fees for creative team
- Hayes Theatre Co assumes the financial risk for the production
- Full producer services
- Marketing and publicity of the production
- Full ticketing services
- Production management
Hayes Theatre Co will work with the successful applicant to provide the following:
- A complete creative team and cast – please note that this is a collaborative process, but in the interests of delivering a professional production as part of an annual season, Hayes Theatre Co has final approval over creative appointments and casting that occurs following the acceptance of the production
- Acquisition of performing rights (rights availability is a specific requirement for the successful application)
Are there any limits on what can be submitted?
- We encourage artists to be imaginative and adventurous in their creative submissions, however there are practical considerations to staging a production in our intimate theatre.
- In most cases we can’t accommodate or afford large casts. While we’ve occasionally stretched to 12 or 13 performers, the average cast size at Hayes is 8. Similarly, our average band size is 5, including a Musical Director.
- Our stage is 7m wide and 7m deep (detailed tech specs are available on our website). Designers and choreographers have, famously, made a virtue of the restrictions, but they should be taken into consideration.
- This doesn’t mean that smaller works will necessarily be looked on more favourably. We try to achieve a balance across the whole season.
- If you’d like to submit your own work, or that of a creative collaborator, it does need to be complete and ready to produce. If you feel it needs further development, or if you’d like feedback, please submit your musical to our Open Submissions program instead.
- If you would like to discuss your application prior to submission please contact Will Harvey at firstname.lastname@example.org